Providence Health International
Service Trip Application Form
INTERNATIONAL SERVICE / LEARNING PROJECTS
Guidelines and Application for the Financial Support of International Volunteers
Thank you for your interest to serve as an international volunteer. A commitment to be a healing presence among the poor is a foundational component of the ministries of the Sisters of Providence -- as is the spirit of serving beyond one’s borders. It was this spirit of service that first called the Sisters to leave Canada and serve the people of the Pacific Northwest in the 1850’s. Supporting employees who respond to the health needs of people beyond the borders of the U.S. is a continuation of that same spirit of service.
Grants are provided based on the belief that short-term interventions can alleviate needless suffering in parts of the world where there is tremendous material and human need. At the same time it is critical that these short-term interventions be conducted in ways to support long term solutions and create greater sustainability. It is also important to measure the value of this work not only in terms of differences made in the lives of others elsewhere around the world, but also in the differences it can make in the lives and work for those of us within Providence. These include, but are not limited to:
- Greater skills and understanding to serve people of diverse cultural and economic backgrounds.
- Better stewardship of material resources.
- New perspectives on health care delivery and meaningful ways to serve the poor.
- A renewed commitment to the mission and values of Providence Health & Services including our interconnectedness with people around the world
Grants are limited to employees of Providence/Swedish. They can only be used for project related expense such as a program fee, travel and/or the purchase of needed medical supplies.
Grants vary ($500 - $1,000) depending on the length of commitment. (Time a volunteer may use for sightseeing or vacationing is not included). To be considered for a grant a person must:
- Be at least a half-time employee of Providence Health & Services (including employees of Swedish).
- Complete any probationary period as a new employee.
- Have prior approval from his/her immediate supervisor for the required time-off.
- Submit the application at least four weeks prior to departure date.
- Agree to complete a feedback report and submit receipts within four weeks of completing trip.
- Participating with at least one other Providence employee on the trip*
*Grants for a single employee can be considered when the primary focus of the project is an educational program for health professionals. A copy of the curriculum being offered is required.
PROCESS FOR APPROVAL
The amount of funding available on an annual basis is limited. Grants will be given for employees volunteering with organizations that meet the following criteria:
- Charitable (501C-3) organizations committed to serving medical needs
- Have ongoing relationships with the local health professionals/organizations in the country of service and an organizational commitment to maintain those relationships.
- Promote education and self-sufficiency for the people and communities they serve.
- Are committed to addressing systemic solutions to situations of poverty, health and suffering experienced by the poor.
- Are not actively engaged in proselytizing those being served.
Grant recipients are required to submit a personal evaluation of his/her experience within four weeks of returning to the U.S. Volunteers are also encouraged to find opportunities to share what they have gained from this experience with others in their institutions and local communities.
Volunteers are required to provide documentation for how the grant was used. (Copies of airline tickets, receipts for the purchase of supplies, lodging and/or letter from sponsor organization.) Supporting documentation must be submitted within four weeks after returning to the U.S.
Please note that PHI cannot award more than one grant per calendar year to qualified employees.
In the rare event of a trip cancellation, the expectation is that the volunteer will refund the entire amount of the grant within two weeks of canceling.
In the rare event of a trip cancellation, the expectation is that the volunteer will refund the entire amount of the grant within two weeks of canceling. The check should be mailed and addressed to:
Providence Health International
1801 Lind Avenue SW #9016
Renton WA 98057-9016.
| Grant Application Form|